MARKHAM LUTHERAN CHURCH
Important Information for the Bridal Couple
Important Information for the Bridal Couple
We offer this Wedding Policy as a guideline to assist you in making decisions and to familiarize you with the wedding procedures for this church. At Markham Lutheran Church we consider the Christian wedding to be an act of worship, and every aspect of your wedding should reflect this.
This wedding policy should answer most of your questions, including required fees, which are listed at the bottom of the page. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the church office at 708-331-4885 or email us at [email protected]org. You will also have ample opportunities to discuss your wedding service with Pastor during your counseling sessions.
Please note: Weddings are not scheduled at Markham Lutheran Church during Lent, and Pastor Larry will not officiate at a wedding held at another site during that time.
- You are strongly encouraged to include the Service of Holy Communion in your wedding service. The service at the church is the most important part of your wedding day and should not be rushed or stinted in any way. When we partake of the Body and Blood of Christ, we are united with Christ and one another, including spouses, in the most profound way. So, if you still want to include the Unity candle or sand ceremonies, that's okay; but they don't have the same meaning or significance.
- Music is an important part of any worship service. Pastor will help you in selecting congregational hymns and approve music that will be performed by a soloist or other musician(s), if any, for your service. A one hour session with the organist is included in the organist's fee; the organist will be happy to assist you in choosing other music, such as the processional and recessional.
- As a serious Lutheran-Christian, you probably have favorite scriptures. Pastor will help you in choosing Lessons (scripture readings) from the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) of the Bible, a good translation which tends to use more inclusive language, for your wedding service.
- Pastor will give you a selection of wedding vows from which to choose.
- The paraments and banners in the church and Pastor's vestments will be the liturgical color appropriate to the Church Year.
- Please give your photographer/videographer and florist the guidelines prepared for them. There is a link to that information on the "Weddings" page.
- Please make sure your family and friends understand that only the photographer/videographer may take pictures during the service, including the processional and recessional. They will be able to take pictures before and after the service, as your professional photographer allows. Remind them that professional photos will be available for them to purchase. Here are some guidelines for your guests. Please share them as you deem necessary and appropriate.
- A rental deposit of 50% of the rental contract is due when the contract is signed; the balance is due 1 week before the wedding rehearsal. The fees for the pastor and organist may be given to them at any time up to and including the rehearsal.
- The marriage license must be presented to and approved by Pastor Larry prior to or at the rehearsal.
- If you have hired a wedding planner/coordinator, they are welcome to attend your rehearsal; however, Pastor will direct the rehearsal and will have the final say in all decisions/plans regarding the church service. Please make sure your planner/coordinator understands that.
- Please arrange with Pastor Larry for your florist and caterer, if any, to have access to the church on the day of the wedding.
- Please no "showering" of rice, confetti or silk flower petals or releasing of balloons outside the church. Anything environmentally/human/animal friendly, such as bird seed and bubbles, is fine. If in doubt, run it by Pastor.
Church and Social Hall
Church Rental: $100.00 non-members; $50.00 members
Social Hall Rental Fee: $400.00 non-members; $200.00 members
Rental Manager's Fee: $100, all (required for wedding receptions with 100 or more guests)
Rental Clean-up Deposit: $150, all (Normally, this deposit is refundable within 7 days after the event provided clean-up is done according to terms of the contract; however, deeper cleaning of the chancel/nave/west transept/balcony is now required with COVID-19)
Damage Deposit: $250, non-members; $150 members (Refundable within 7 days after event provided there is no damage)
Officiant and Organist
Pastor Schneekloth's fee: $200.00 (includes pre-marital counseling sessions, rehearsal, if any, and wedding)
Organist's fee: $150.00 (includes one-hour session to discuss/choose music, rehearsal and wedding)